- Habla Espanol?
You are hereHome ›
WELCOME TO HOEY & FARINA
Train Accident Lawyers / Personal Injury Attorneys
Suffering a serious personal injury, or wrongful death of a family member, can have lifelong consequences for you and your family, which is why selecting the best personal injury lawyer for your claim is such an important decision.
Each personal injury attorney / train accident lawyer at Hoey & Farina is dedicated to representing individuals and family members who have suffered a serious injury or wrongful death due to a train accident, car accident, truck accident, medical malpractice, product liability, or other serious accident throughout the United States.
Hoey & Farina will provide you and your family with answers, compassionate service and the experienced legal representation you need and deserve! We are here for you 24 hours a day for your FREE CONSULTATION at 1-888-425-1212 or via this form, and throughout your entire personal injury claim.
(Please use our search function, located at the top of each page, to quickly navigate to helpful information and resources concerning: your rights, our results, client testimonials, legal news, and more.)
TYPES OF SERIOUS INJURY & WRONGFUL DEATH CLAIMS
FELA / Railroad Accident - Train Accident - Wrongful Death - Defective or Dangerous Product - Car Accident - Semi Truck Accident - Construction Accident - Work Accident / Workers' Compensation - Medical Malpractice - Maritime & Boat Accident
Summary of Certification of Conductor Regulation
Effective January 2012, the Federal Railroad Administration ("FRA") issued a rule requiring railroads to have formal programs to certify conductors. Please read the FRA Summary of Certification of Conductor Regulation. If you have any questions concerning railroad conductor certification regulations, please contact Hoey & Farina at 1-888-425-1212.
For the complete regulations, go to www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011-11-09/pdf/2011-28175.pdf
Balough v. Metra - "In Use" Appellate Decision
On May 19, 2011, the Illinois First District Appellate Court affirmed the full amount of the jury verdict in Balough v. Metra ("trapped-doored" case), rejecting Metra's argument that the locomotive on which Mr. Balough was injured was not “in use” and therefore the Locomotive Inspection Act didn't apply. LEARN MORE about this important FELA legal decision.
At the Heart of a Railroad Family
In December, 2010, Larry Koger, and his family were as financially down as a family could be. Larry had been occupationally disabled as a railroad conductor as a result of a train derailment on July 29, 2007, and had not received a pay check since. His hard fought FELA work injury claim was still winding its way through the courts. Despite their circumstances, however, what the Koger family did have, and will always have, are big hearts. Not having any money to give, they simply gave of themselves. Just before Christmas, Larry and Christina (pictured here with their son, Chase) took time as a family to visit a local school as Mr. & Mrs. Santa Claus – to bring joy to other families and especially to the young children in their community. However, nine days after Christmas, a wonderful thing happened. LEARN MORE
Jury Returns $33 Million
Record Verdict In Illinois
For Injured Railroader
James L. Farina, Attorney Hoey & Farina, P.C.
(RAILROAD INJURY ATTORNEYS / FELA LAWYERS)
FELA attorney (Designated Legal Counsel) James L. Farina of Hoey & Farina, P.C., is proud to report that he obtained a $33,000,000.00 verdict on March 25, 2010, in Rock Island, Illinois, on behalf of Andrew Schulte, an injured railroad worker (former railroad conductor), and against the Iowa Interstate Railroad, Ltd. (“IAIS”). The jury trial under the FELA - Federal Employers’ Liability Act - began on Monday, March 8, and concluded late Wednesday evening on March 24th. The jury returned the record verdict the next day on March 25, 2010. LEARN MORE
QUESTIONS ABOUT A SERIOUS INJURY CLAIM?
Straight Track Newletter
FOR YOUR FAMILY
- PROTECT YOUR FAMILY'S FUTURE
- Prepare For Life's Unexpected Changes
- A Durable What ?!?!?!
- Hoey & Farina's Family Members Seminar & The People Who Are A Part Of Them
- Family's Prompt Action Secures Important Settlement For Injured Trainman
- If Tomorrow Never Comes
- What Do I Tell My Family? Part II
- A New Year's Resolution
- What Do I Tell My Family? Part I
- Expect The Unexpected
- Memorial Day 2016 - National Moment of Remembrance
- Mayday May Day
- Veterans Day 2015 - A Different Perspective
- A Call For Veterans
- Veterans Day
- A Call For Veterans' Stories
- Labor Day Celebrates Railroad Workers
- National Train Day May 8, 2010
- Celebrate Railroading On The Fourth of July!
- Veterans Day 2003
- Lessons From Our Steel Driving Hero
- The Real Meaning Of Labor Day
- Labor Day
- They Rode The Rails In Style
RAILROAD LAW & NEWS
- Railroad Safety Regulations - Highest-Ever Penalty Collection Rate
- Railroaders' Rights - Protection Needed for Off-Duty Injuries / Illnesses
- FRA - Status of Positive Train Control Implementation
- An FELA Claim Is An Asset Of Bankruptcy Estate
- U.S. Court of Appeals Protects FRSA - Whistleblowers' Rights
- S.O.F.A. - Switching Fatality and Severe Injury Update
- Conductor Certification - Use It or Lose It
- U.S. Supreme Court Denies CSX Attempt To Change FELA
- New Restrictions on Crew Cell Phones Likely After Collision of BNSF Trains
- Trouble In Paradise
- Heat Order After Amtrak Derailment Slows Rail Service On CSX Tracks
- Illinois Adopts Strategy for Enforcing Crew-Van Safety Law
- Are Federal Appellate Judges Biased Against Plaintiffs?
- Big Win For Plaintiffs On Where Lawsuits Will Be Tried
- Empty Your Pockets
- Hoey & Farina Defeats Norfolk Southern & The Association Of American Railroads On Rail Safety Preemption Case
- FRA & Surface Transportation Board Join Forces With Hoey & Farina Against The NS & Association Of American Railroads
- Freight Railroads Hopeful for 2003, Passenger Rail Expects Upheaval
- U.S. Court Of Appeals Upholds Contractual Rights
- Railroad Punished For Destroying Evidence
- Injured Railroaders' Rights At Risk
- Inspector General Finds Lax FRA Enforcement
- Railroad Shoots Itself In The Caboose
- Lincoln Rides to the Rescue of Injured Railroaders
- Railroad Feud - "And the survey says..."
- Notice - Unsafe Conditions on Railroads
- Friending & Defending
- Railroaders' Rights - The Cell Phone Trap
- Protecting Your Job & Your FELA Claim While Using Facebook
- Metra Conductor Attacked On Hyde Park Station Platform
- Retaliatory Discharge & The FELA
- "If It's Not A Slip, Trip or Fall, What Is It?"
- Railroads & Riverboats
- Know Your Equipment
- Working The Job & Getting Sued
- Best Practices For Reducing Injuries
- Working For The Railroad Off The Property
- Railroad Logic
- Shining The Light On Safety Standards For Signalmen
- Getting On and Off Moving Railroad Equipment
- Retaliatory Discharge: A Court Strikes Back
- Don't Be A Fool With The Rule
- Failed Couplings Under The Federal Safety Appliance Act
- Tangled In The Net
- The 911 On Reporting a Railroad Injury
- Railroad Injury Claims & Tax Returns
- Reporting A Railroad Injury - Your Duty & Rights
- The Fear Factor II: Think Twice About Toughening It Out
- Prior Injuries, Prior Accidents and Prior Medical Conditions - What You Should Know
- Notice, Notice & More Notice!
- Part II: "I Didn't See Anything"
- Part I : "I Didn't See Anything"
- Creating The Paper Trail
- What Every Union Officer Should Know
- The Fear Factor
- A Paper Trail Is Everything for an Injured Railroader
- When In Doubt, Write It Out
- Preserving Evidence
- Is There A Right Way To Complete A Personal Injury Report?
- Heed The Warnings!
- Even A Champion Has To Practice, Practice, Practice
- Never Put Off Reporting a Railroad Work Injury
- Personal Injury Report: A Deadly Weapon In The Railroad's Arsenal
- Do You Copy?
- Completing The Personal Injury Report -- The Right Way
- Fear Factor III
- Back To The Basics: How To Complete An On-The-Job Injury Report
HIRE A FELA LAWYER
- Where In The World Is Jim Farina?
- Remembering a Life of Giving
- How Many Lawyers Does It Take To...
- More Than Just Words: You May Not Need A Lawyer, But You Do Need Legal Advice
- Hoey & Farina: Representing All Seriously Injured Individuals & Their Families
- Jury Returns $1,818,000 Verdict for Cumulative Trauma Injury
- 2012 Trial Lawyer Excellence Award Recipients
- Jury Trashes Metra's Defenses - Coach Cleaner Awarded $1.27 Million
- Hoey & Farina ‘Lights Up' The Belt - Verdict for Railroad Switchman in Locomotive Inspection Act Case
- Appellate Decision Upholds Engineer's "In Use" Argument in Balough v. Metra
- At The Heart Of A Railroad Family
- White Snow vs. Black Ice
- Record Verdict For Western Michigan - $7,263,000 For Injured Trackmen
- Jury Returns $33 Million Record Verdict In Illinois For Injured Railroader
- Verdict For Railroad Worker With Neck Injuries Caused By Defective Handrail
- Jury Returns $3.4 Million Verdict In West Virginia For Injured Conductor
- Big Supreme Court Victory For Railroaders - Part II
- Big Supreme Court Victory For Railroaders - Part I
- Structured Settlements: A Way To Secure Your Future
- Farina Beats BNSF on "Sole Cause" Defense
- Victory At Last: Tyrrell vs. NS Railway
- After Wild Ride, Hoey & Farina Helps To Snare Victory For Kentucky Railroader
- At Hoey & Farina, Size Doesn't Matter
- McLaughlin vs. CSXT - Offer: 0, Verdict: $2,331,000.00
- Record Illinois Verdict For Injured Railroad Employee
- Jury's "Not Guilty" Verdict Overturned By Federal Trial Judge
- Engineer Awarded $1,390,000.00 For Spinal Injuries Resulting From Locomotive Vibration
- BNSF Offers Low Settlement To Section Laborer, Hoey & Farina Litigates To Verdict In Iowa
- Important Verdict for Maintenance of Way Worker Affirmed by Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Railroad Loses To Hoey & Farina On Appeal
- Major Verdict for Injured Railroad Employee After 27 Day Trial
- Verdict For Metra Electric Engineer "Trapped-Doored"
- Railroad, Military & Department of Veterans Affairs
- Hurt, Broke and Fired!
- Off-Track Vehicle Accident Benefits
- Disability Benefits: What Every Railroader Should Know
- Seniority Upheld Against Disability Rights
- Important Railroad Retirement Board Update
- Suddenly, Switching Career Tracks Doesn't Look So Unlikely
- RRB & Taxes
- How Railroaders Can Weather The Storm
- Railroad Injury Facts
- What Is The FELA?
- Test Your FELA Knowledge
- FELA 101
- Use 'Em Up & Spit 'Em Out: Negligent Assignment & The FELA
- Workplace Privacy & Personnel Records
- Bankruptcy and The FELA
- Clearing The Air On Railroader's Duty To Mitigate
- FELA Under Attack
- Section 60 of the FELA - Part II
- Section 60 of the FELA - Part I
- Crime Rarely Pays: The FELA & Criminal Acts Against Railroad Workers
- Railroader Discovers The "Discovery Rule" - The Hard Way
- Understanding The FELA
- Bankruptcy & The FELA, Part II
- The "Venue" Menu: What It Means For Injured Railroaders
- Your Railroad Work Injury
ABOUT STRAIGHT TRACK
- Prevent Health Insurance Coverage Problems
- Claim Agents' 3 Favorite Lies
- Winning The Railroad Lottery
- The Case Against Light Duty
- Is This The Same Railroad I Have Been Working For?
- Railroaded - A Fair Deal From The Claim Agent
- What's The Claim Agent's Job?
- "Must I Give A Statement To The Railroad About My Injury?"
- Railroad Offers Free Legal Advice To Injured Employees
- From One Railroader To Another: When Is It Advantageous To Deal With A Claim Agent?
- Deal or No Deal: The Railroad's Game
- Top Ten Lies From Railroad Claim Agents
- Like Fine Wine, Settle No Claim Before Its Time
- "Don't Worry" - Words of Comfort or Deception?
- In Your Best Interest
- Third Time's The Charm
- For A Limited Time Only
- So They Claim … Why Dealing With The Railroad Isn’t In Your Best Interest
- The Weather Outside is Frightful...
- Don't Let Your Claim Slip Away
- Prepare for the Winter Months
- 'Tis The Season To Be Careful
- Summer Time! Staying Healthy At Work on The Railroad
- Ice & Snow - Don't Let Your Claim Slip Away
- Railroad's Duty to Provide Safe Workplace During Summer
- The Bugs Are Back In Town
- The Effects of Walking on Ballast
- Reader's Response - Emotional Effects Of Collisions
- Emotional Effects of Collisions on Train Crew
- Metra's And Diesel Fumes Threat To Workers And Commuters
- Metra Continues To Test Due To Diesel Fumes Threat
- Diesel Fumes Threat To Railroad Workers And Commuters
- Checklist for Traumatic Brain Injury
- Oh My Aching Wrist! Carpal Tunnel Syndrome & The FELA
- Why Does It Still Hurt?
- The Creosote Threat To Railroaders
- New Study Reveals Risks from Harmful Vibrations For Engineers
- Traumatic Brain Injury: Not A Simple Diagnosis
- A Traumatic Experience Can Have Long Lasting Effects On Your Mental Health (PTSD)
- The Diesel Exhaust Threat
- Good, Good, Good...Good Vibrations?
- Recovering From Emotional Stress (PTSD)
- Aggravating A Pre-Existing Condition
- Asbestos: Railroads' Quiet Killer
- Understanding Back Pain: Getting It Evaluated & Treated
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Everybody Hurts, Sometimes
- Are You Aware?
- New FRA Rules On Locomotive Cab Noise
- Prior Medical Conditions
MEDICAL CARE / BILLS
- The Railroad In The Exam Room
- A Premium Smokescreen
- After I'm Hurt at Work, Why Should I Do Vocational Rehabilitation?
- Protecting Your Rights At The ER
- The ADA & Seniority Rights
- Post-Accident Drug & Alcohol Testing
- Medical Examinations & Occupational Disability
- When You Snooze -- You Lose (Your Rights Concerning Medical Care)
- Why Do Re-Hab Nurses Wear Fish Net Stockings?
- Who's Really Paying Your Medical Bills?
- Your Doctor Must Be Your Best Friend
- Company Doctor - Medical Witness
- Company-Ordered Medical Examinations
- Talking To Your Doctor
- No Costume Needed: A Scary Story for Halloween
- The Defense Medical Exam
- Victory For Railroaders' Medical Confidentiality
- The Railroad As Big Brother
- On A Need To Know Basis: Medical Bill Payments & The Injured Railroad Employee
STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS
- Your Right & Responsibility To Help!
- Honoring The Father, The Man & The Job
- Debs Was First Rail Trade Unionist To Champion Unity
- Your Right To Choose & Recommend Designated Legal Counsel Fought For By Your Union - Part II
- Your Right To Choose & Recommend Designated Legal Counsel Fought For By Your Union - Part I
- A Protected Right & Responsibility To Help!
- More Candid Talk About Video Surveillance
- Smile! You’re On Candid Camera: Video Surveillance Admissibility
- If Injured Be Aware: Surveillance Videos Can Destroy Your Case
- Under Surveillance? Don't Get Discredited!
MOTOR VEHICLES / CABS
- What Happens If The Railroad's Outside Contractor Creams Me?
- Understanding The Railroad's Use Of Taxi Cab Companies
- "Does The FELA Apply If I Am Injured Riding In A Motor Vehicle While I Am On The Job?"
- Don't Be Taken For A Ride